Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The line that separates the boys from the menstruation.

During the summer after ninth grade, as I prepared to take the SAT II Biology exam, there was one thing I feared more than anything else. Menstruation.

Somehow, we never covered menstruation in our biology class so I knew close to nothing about the subject. We had lightly touched on hormones, but we mostly talked about adrenaline, not menstruation. I had also been studying with the SAT II Biology prep books published by REA, which I later realized was the worst brand of examination preparation books ever, and which dedicated a vastly disproportionate amount of the exam to menstruation. Detailed questions in the REA practice tests that required familiarity with every hormone and neurotransmitter involved in menstruation gave me hot flashes. But worst of all, being an obese, nerdy, short and awkward fourteen-year old with extremely limited contact to few if any girls and even then only through the impenetrable membrane of the internet, I could only assume that fifty percent of the people taking the exam would know everything about the topic.

Having already mastered the Krebs cycle, the Calvin cycle, and the Calcium-Potassium barrier but with only a few weeks left before the exam, I (incorrectly) believed that this would be the final barricade between myself and a perfect score. Oh, if only I had this video to guide me back then:



All's well that ends well, and even without the instruction of this video, I did very well on the exam that turned out to be significantly easier than the absurdly fucking difficult REA practice exams. ^_^

Props to Marilla Li for sharing the video via Google Reader.

No comments: