Sunday, October 05, 2008

I suck at art.

Recently, I purchased a drawing tablet in hope of renewing my drawing hobby. Until college, I was quite the prolific doodler, though I would never claim that anything I drew ever amounted to art. Frankly, I was just a huge anime nerd who liked to doodle during class. However, under such conditions one things progressively led to another and thus the monstrosity below.


[ Me. ]

I took me a while to get used to the tablet. Up until now I have always sketched on paper and scanned before working on computer so this is my first time working directly on computer and the first time I've ever attempted coloring. The above drawing was done on Photoshop (though I should probably be vectoring in Illustrator) and I've learned quite a few things from just my first try.

  1. My hands are a lot steadier on paper, but perhaps this is because of the loss of graphite on paper texture. I can even tell that my hands got a lot steadier as I got used to the tablet and the lines I made later were much smoother than the lines I made when I started.
  2. The pressure sensor sucks. This is a pretty cheap tablet for beginners and amateurs, but honestly shading with the pencil is a lost cause with this set up.
  3. Eventually I remembered why I was so excited to get a tablet as now I could move shapes, undo, draw on different layers, etc.
  4. Choose your colors well, because its a major pain to change your colors after you've already done a lot of work with them. I am actually totally incapable of tanning, unlike my cartoon doppleganger.
  5. Short-cut keys are your friend. Good thing I'm already well-acquainted with all the Photoshop shortcuts.

No comments: